Men's basketball starts season with wild overtime win

Men's basketball starts season with wild overtime win

LOCATION: Cincinnati, OH (Harrington Center)

Mount St. Joseph University (1-0,0-0 HCAC) defeated Wilmington College (0-1,0-0) 98-96 in overtime. Jordan Henry knocked down the game winner with three seconds remaining to give the Lions the win.

The Lions and the Quakers kept the game close from start to finish with no team having a double-digit lead.

Femi Thompson scored 14 first-half points the lead the way for the Lions, but Wilmington's Christian Jones was fouled shooting a three with time expiring that allowed Wilmington to take the lead at halftime 39-38. The Lions had a hard time handling Jones who had 12 in the first half and 25 in the game.

Coming out of the half, The Lions scored six unanswered points to take the lead. Senior guard Travis Combs started the rally when he stole the ball at half court and took it to the hoop for an easy layup.

Mount St. Joseph proceeded to maintain the lead where they got it up to a game-high nine points on three occasions.

Wilmington's full-court pressure would help them tie it up at 77-77 with 1:46 left in the game. Combs came through once again, hitting a big three-pointer from the corner. The Quakers followed up, hitting a three pointer off a missed free throw that bounced back to the shooter who hit the tying shot with 9 seconds left. 

In overtime, the Lions started out strong, taking a six point lead with the help of Joel Scudder who accounted for four of the points. Wilmington would claw back into the game. After a made basket Henry got the ball once again and sliced through Wilmington defenders for the winning layup.

Thompson led all Mount scores with 24 points, seven rebounds, and five assists. Andrew Finley came through big in his MSJ debut, scoring 18 points and adding two steals in 22 minutes. 

Erik Edwards dominated the boards for the Mount, grabbing 9 rebounds and making 11 free throws. 

The Lions will host Albion College at 7:30 p.m. Friday in the first game in the Mount St. Joseph Tip-Off Classic.