One of the many benefits of participation in the CHAMPS/Life Skills program is that each participating institution is eligible to send a student-athlete to the annual NCAA Leadership Conference. This conference brings 325 student-athletes from all sports and all divisions together for a week of leadership training, team building, skill development, and strategic planning, preparing them to return to campus with a written action plan to implement a project to better their campus and/or local community, while addressing an identified need or concern.
Each campus submits a panel of four student-athletes, two men and two women, to the NCAA for consideration. A NCAA selection committee reviews the applications, which include a two-page essay about their perspective on leadership, and selects one of the four to participate in the conference.
The following are a list of Mount nominees for the 2007 year:
- Shanika Logan, Women's Basketball
- * Travis Huffman, Men's Basketball
- Maria Eichhold, Women's Basketball
- Clarence Bishop, Football
* (April 2, 2007) The NCAA has chosen SAAC member Travis Huffman to represent the College of Mount St. Joseph at the National in Lake Buena Vista, Florida May 27-31, 2007.
The following are a list of Mount nominees for this 2008 year:
- Jamie Cooper, Women’s Volleyball
- Jeff Schroer, Men’s CC/Track & Field
- Justin Fuller, Men’s Football
- Mariana Lamping, Women’s CC/Track & Field